Friday, October 2, 2009

Storm clouds

There was an interesting storm front that moved through our area yesterday evening, just about at rush hour. I was able to get some photos on my way home (yes, a couple were taken while driving, but most of these were taken when I exited off the freeway and pulled off the side of the road, or pulled off on a back road); I keep an inexpensive but still quite good point-and-shoot camera in the car for just such occasions.

I love all the different colors and cloud formations you can see in different parts of the sky, all at the same time -- in some cases -- or within mere minutes of each other, in other cases. No more than 40 minutes passed between the first photo and the last photo posted below!

So without further ado, here you go.


The storm front moves in near downtown...I love the texture on these clouds.



The sun is struggling to keep shining over on the left through a portion of the clouds, while the real front is still moving in on the right, with a stretch of blue sky in between.



The real storm front... If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you can even tell the rain is falling way back there. The difference between white innocent puffy clouds and dark menacing storm clouds is neat.



A close-up of the distinct difference between blue sky, white clouds and dark clouds...with a bit of sun-tinged cloud in between.



And a swing over to the left -- literally 30 seconds later -- to see what the sun and storm clouds in that direction are up to. If I was better at post-processing, I'd know how to take out those towers to make it an even better photo...



A close-up of the sun and clouds.



About 10 minutes later and closer to home, here's what the sky around the sun looks like now.



And yet again closer to home, here's a final photo. Those dark clouds hovering at the top look really low, like they're on top of the camera!




And after all those heavy dark ugly clouds and the strong winds that came with them, it's my understanding from the news that we ended up not getting all that much rain. Sure did look impressive, though...





4 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

I love the new blog. I really enjoy the sky shots!

SASS....Sammy Andy Shelly Sierra said...

Love the blog and we have signed up to follow it......YAY for our Texas skies.

xxxxxx

Amy & the house of cats said...

Love the new blog - it is a great idea to have somewhere to post non-cat stuff (I tired it - haven't posted in over a year at least but I am bad like that). I think the last picture is my fave, because I love sunsets with pink in them!

Mishkat said...

We signed up to follow too. Beautiful photos! Although I think the first one is a little scary because it looks like "tornado sky".

This template made by and copyright Christine's Blog Templates. (modified by Texas Wildflower)